Friday, February 1, 2008

Cincinnati Pale Ale

Brewed: 10/05/2007
Status: All Consumed

This pale ale was my first homebrew, and it turned out quite decently. This particular recipe is from John Palmer's How to Brew. I boiled it on my kitchen stove and fermented it in a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket. I bottled it after 7 days in the primary. At first it had a bit of a chill haze, but after an extra month of conditioning or so, it turned out quite clear. I did not test the original or final gravities of this batch, so I have no exact ABV figure. Instead of testing out Waco tap water's luck in brewing, I used purified water dispensed from a machine outside a local supermarket.


INGREDIENTS
  • 3.3 lbs. Pale Malt Extract Syrup
  • 2.5 lbs. Amber Dry Malt Extract
  • 0.70 oz. Amarillo Hop Pellets (8.9% AA)
  • 0.75 oz Cascade Hop Pellets (6.9% AA)
  • 2 Packages Safeale US-56 Yeast (11.5g ea.)
  • 2/3 cup table sugar (for priming)
Fermented 7 days @ 75° F
Bottled: 10/13/2007
First Tasted: 10/27/2007

Thoughts & Notes
  1. Kitchen sink not big enough to cool wort in 11 gallon pot.
  2. Too much yeast & trub in bottles.
  3. Using all 22 oz. bottles is not ideal.
  4. Bottle-filler attachment would be handy.

No comments: